CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

An Old One

There's a story I've been meaning to post for oh about seven months now, but I just haven't gotten it done. I've decided tonight I've gotta get it done.

A little background, Aaron works with a bunch of grandmas... literally. It's a hoot to go visit because all the grandmas come out to play. Aaron shares a cube with a great lady named Leslie. She and the kids have gotten to be good friends. About mid-August Aaron forgot to take something to work, so the kids and I ran it down to him. Jael had to take in her Dora purse to show all the ladies. Oh course she had to show Leslie. Leslie got her own purse and pulled out a package of peanut butter crackers, a breath mint, a package of kleenex and a quarter. She told Jael "Now you're ready for any emergency." To say Jael was pleased is just a bit of an understatement.

Fast forward roughly a month to Sept 5th 2010. There was a nasty wildfire near our home. Winds were blowing 50-60 miles an hour. We stood at the end of our driveway and took pictures. It came over the mountain and down the hill right to the city line. Gratefully at that point they were able to get it out, it looked like there was going to be damage much worse than there was. Many prayers were answered. At one point though we were standing outside watching the fire. Aaron and I were discussing that we may need to evacuate and that we should really be prepared. The kids were upset about their toys, so I told them they could each pick their favorite toy to take with us. I was pretty sure I knew what they'd pick. I was sure Anson would want his Millennium Falcon and Jael would want Baby Dolly, the much loved doll she got for her first birthday. Anson I pegged right on. Jael on the other hand was having a hard time choosing. Thus the following conversation.

J- "Mom, I want Baby Dolly, but I NEED my purse."
Me- "Well, you need to pick one."
J- (a little upset) "Okay then I guess I have to take my purse."
Me- (shocked) "Not Baby?"
J- "But Mom, Leslie said my purse was ready for an emergency. This is an emergency."

In light of that, I let them pick two toys.

0 comments: